The Centennial Golf Club and Troon are committed to integrating and leading fit and healthy lifestyles for members, guests and associates alike. TroonFIT is a platform that raises awareness of the health benefits related to playing (more) golf; promotes non-golf fitness activities like yoga and running; and also incorporates nutritional offerings.
Our goal is to incorporate a culture of health and fitness where the idea of living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is more of an unwritten expectation. We are developing new ways to use our golf facility for fitness related activities such as allowing walking the grounds when not golfing, or hosting charity fundraisers or special events. TroonFIT builds upon the ever changing social dynamic of embracing fitness and ensures that golf is promoted as a fitness related activity.
A look at golf’s health benefits:
- Walking 18 holes of golf is equal to taking a 5-mile walk or running 3.5 to 4 miles.
- Playing 18 holes of golf burns roughly 2,000 calories when walking and 1,300 calories in a cart.
- When walking 18 holes of golf, blood glucose levels fall anywhere from 10% to 30% depending on age.
- Older people who golf have better static and dynamic balance control and confidence.
- Golfers exceed 10,000 steps during a typical round of golf – which meets the recommended guidelines for daily exercise.
(The Walker Research Group commissioned by the World Golf Foundation and Golf 20/20)